Free Write - Image

 

Write about a conflict from earlier in your life and how you see it now. 

Comments

  1. When I was 6-7 years old, my mom moved us to the west coast. At the time, I thought it was just how things were in life. We moved and I didn't think much about it. I still celebrated holidays like Christmas and Halloween. Looking back at it now, that was probably the most horrific 10 months of my life. During that time, my mom was on drugs, we were homeless, I was kidnapped, and was unable to make long-term friends. We lived in Southern California. Although I went to school, I didn't understand a thing. My favorite time was recess because I didn't understand anybody. As the new kid, I didn't know how things went down in school. I had to pay for lunches, got bullied, had to get picked up from school (because there were no busses for pre-K -2) and try to understand my classes. I didn't speak spanish but everyone else did. I was lost and clueless. Looking back now, this time period was a roadbump to help me understand how different people really are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keili Martin
    A conflict from earlier in my life would just be any kind of argument with family or friends. But as I have gotten older I have realized that life is to short to be on bad terms about something that can be easily resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a conflict with my parents about deciding where I am going to college. I was stressed and wanted to pick the perfect college. We argued because I was waiting until the last minute and they wanted to throw a decision party. They wanted me to go here because of my interest in horses. This conflict made me realize that because of this conflict I am at the college I love, loving my major and my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A conflict I had when I was younger was when my friend group and a different friend group in highschool stopped hanging out and cut each other off. It happened for petty reasons, but looking back on it I think both groups knew it was time to go our own ways and to grow without eachother. We were becoming too different and a lot of them were older then us so it was inevitable. I think it was a good decision and even though we didnt like the situation at the time, I am glad it happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember always arguing with other kids on the playground about the rules of the games we would play. I would always say they were cheating and that I was the real winner, and they would say the same. We would argue almost every day, usually screaming about it. Now I realize I was just wanting to win and that the arguments were pointless, but back then it felt like I was fighting for my life if someone else thought they won.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was younger our family friend had died of cancer. It was so terrible and I saw the conflict as a terrible thing and that nothing good would come out of it. Now I see it as a learning opportunity. Still to this day we raise awareness and help others who also have been through the same thing. Now I see it as a way to help others and stand up and show people how to move on in life and to keep fighting. We now raise awareness by doing 5k and 10k running races to raise money for the oral cancer foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ^^ I had a conflict with my parents about deciding where I am going to college. I was stressed and wanted to pick the perfect college. We argued because I was waiting until the last minute and they wanted to throw a decision party. They wanted me to go here because of my interest in horses. This conflict made me realize that because of this conflict I am at the college I love, loving my major and my friends

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just last semester, I’ve had a group of friends that were all girls. We have been close since we’ve gotten on campus and a lot of people know . The girls always made a pact saying if they ever caught feelings for someone they would tell each other. It ended up as me and my bestfriend started to like each other and she so happened to be in the group of friends that were all girls. We eventually told the rest of the group and one of the girls was mad because she felt like she deserved to know when it first started. Now looking back at this I still can’t understand why she was mad. At the end of the day it was my business to tell and she couldn’t get mad when I wanted to keep the information private.

    ReplyDelete
  9. On the first day of school this year, in this class specifically, I had problems with my wifi. It wouldn't connect. This is a seemingly small problem, which is easily fixable. However, for me, I was completely overwhelmed. This was my first ever college class and I wasn't prepared. I was so nervous I was going to be behind already. On the contrary, I raised my hand and explained my wifi wasn't working, then fixed it after school by calling IT. Looking back on it now, it was no big deal at all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I was about 3 years old, my babysitter stuck my hand in scalding hot water. I was then hospitalized for 10 days for second and third degree burns on my hand. At the time, I was not very exited it happened and furious with my babysitter about it. She was never arrested and not charged because they could not prove she did it. I was too young and they wouldn’t believe me. It may be an awful thing that happened, but I am kind of grateful it happened. I understand that that idea is kind of odd, but if she had not put me through that I would not have known or had such a strong aspiration to be a lawyer. I want to protect children who are in my shoes and give them a voice when no one else will.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A past conflict in my life was a couple years ago when my and one of my best friends had totally different viewpoints in a tough situation we were both involved in. It ended up with us not being friends anymore, and we haven't talked In years. After reflecting and thinking about it, I believe it was the best possible outcome for a bad situation. I learned how to better sympathize with people and better understand where they were coming from. At the end of the day, all I could've done is learn from it and become a better person going forward in the future

    ReplyDelete
  12. My conflict is not involving someone else, it was just between myself. I also told myself that I wasn’t enough and my body shape was not pretty enough and I wasn’t smart enough. As I have gotten older I have been able to gain more self confidence and learn how to be happy with who I have become. Yes, I do have a lot more work to do but I have been able to be content with who I am right now in this moment. For my future, I hope that I can get to a place where I am not comparing myself and my worth to other people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I was 8 years old my dad passed away due to a heart attack. It was the scariest, most horrifying thing that I have ever gone through. As a child, I didn’t understand what was happening and why my dad was on the ground. It was a Saturday and my mom, sisters, and I were grabbing the mail when we saw him. My parents were divorced at the time, but being the kind, and most loyal man he is, he was over mowing the lawn. It is an image that I will picture for the rest of my life. Although it was the hardest thing I have had to go through, and would take anything in many life to have him back, it has made me me stronger person today. I am able to help others that have gone something similar in there life and can be there for them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A conflict for me would be anything with my mom. I love my mom but she has been very manipulative and negative in my life. Most things turn into an argument but I've kind of realized over the years that the fight doesn't matter. In the end, I'm always gonna be the one to apologize and I'll get over it later. There's no point in fighting with someone who doesn't try to see both sides ever.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A few months ago I got into a car accident and I wasn’t wearing a seatbelt. A woman pulled off a side street and “didn’t see me coming” and I hit the side of her car without time to stop. . My back hurts so bad I went to the emergency room. Looking back I realized how serious that situation could have been if I was going any faster than I already was. I never get in any car no matter where I’m sitting I will always wear my seatbelt. And I’ve realized the importance of them and how I should have taken it more seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  16. A conflict in my life that happened earlier in my life was my moving houses. When I was younger, late elementary age, my parents moved us across town to a different school district. I was too young to understand and therefore had lots of questions and emotions that came with that. I was confused and upset and was too young to grasp the concept of leaving all of my friends and my school. As I grew up, I realized that it was a good thing and came to terms with the facts. I now see it as something that helped me grow and I made lots more friends. I now thank my parents for helping me learn how to make those changes and that change is not always a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anthony Nguyen
    - Growing up due to my father's job I had to move around alot. I moved around from Texas, California, Ohio, then Kentucky. At first I was super young so I thought it was small little vacations, but as I grew older it was hard making friends knowing that I will eventually leave. However, I still pushed through and talked to everyone I met. Looking back on this, it really shows how strong communication is.

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I was younger, I was probably about ten or eleven I got into an argument with my dad about transferring grade schools but he insisted on me staying. I tried explaining why I wanted to leave so bad but he still insisted on me staying and I ended up staying. In the end I am glad the pushed me to stay because of the friends I made from that school but also because it kind of showed me about life, not everything is going to go your way and not everything is going to be in my liking but things have to get done regardless. So I would say I now see why it happened and why my parents, mostly my dad made that decision.
    Jackson Klein

    ReplyDelete
  19. Avery Gulgren
    Growing up my mom and I had a lot of small arguments. We fought a lot about school work and grades constantly. When I was a freshman In high school I wasn't doing so well in school and struggled a lot. I didn't care at the time but my mom cared a lot. Looking back at it now I understand why she cared so much. She pushed me a lot to do better in school and in the long run it has helped me succeed and get where I am today. I appreciate her doing what she did now and helping me form better habits.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I remember when I was in elementary school I had gotten in trouble for selling things at school. I had made stress balls out of rice and balloons and sold them to my classmates. Given that I was in 4th grade and had no sense of money, I sold them for 20 dollars a piece. People bought them and I was making lots of money. This business ended when I was called into the principals office and she met with me about it. She told us that selling things is not allowed at school and I was committing "highway robbery." She scolded me and told me that I could not do this again or I would be expelled. She emailed my parents as well which really scared me. I was so scared to go home that night and face them. When I got home my parents were happy and laughing. They had found the email funny and told me I took after their CEO ways and not to worry. The whole situation ended up resolving itself and being okay. Looking back on it now, I see how trivial this conflict was and actually how smart I was for selling them. I see why I wasn't allowed to but Im not upset that I have this funny story now. I also see that what seemed like the end of the world at the time really didn't mean anything in the long run. - Kate Henderson

    ReplyDelete
  21. When my sister and I were younger we would argue a lot. She would always have to drive me places because my parents made her. We would get in screaming matches because I was not ready in time. She would call me a brat and I would call her mean names too. It would get so bad that my mom would have to separate us. After our fights sometimes we did not talk for days. Now, looking back at it, I am so grateful for my sister and all that she has done for me. I never understood what it was like to have responsibility and fault for another sibling because it's just the two of us. These experiences have taught me that with growth and maturity comes selflessness and our flaws in the past teach us to be better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. BRANDON FIGUEROA

    I used to have an ongoing conflict with my parents about me being lazy and not wanting to go to work when the opportunity was right in front of me. Now as I’ve gotten older I’m glad I refused the offer every time because that time during my childhood is time I’ll never get back. Even though my parents thought it would teach me valuable lessons I have never in my life felt that I was missing something that others had, especially something that I would’ve “learned” that early on.

    ReplyDelete
  23. A conflict that comes to mind is growing up as the only girl with two brothers my mom and I would always butt heads because we are basically the same person. We would have these huge fights because we are both so stubborn. Now I like to think that I have outgrown those kinds of fights and I think that they happened for a reason and I have learned a lot. Fighting with a parent is silly because they what whats best for you and you think you know whats best.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Aidan Reid
    When I was younger, my family and I moved from our childhood home into a different place. At the time I was upset because I was moving away from all my friends, I was mad at the time because I didn't want to move somewhere new and not know anyone in my new neighborhood. Looking back on it now I see how it wasn't that big of a deal. When we moved I still saw all my friends and it didn't change anything really about my life.

    ReplyDelete
  25. so a conflict i had when i was younger happened during elementary school i was pretty heavily bullied (i don't really know why) and it really brought me down during that time in my life. i think that it didn't really effect me in the long run but it really showed me how i wasn't supposed to treat others. in the time it definitely affected me because i was always sad. i see this conflict now as something that i grew from.

    ReplyDelete
  26. When I was younger living with my grandmother I often took on the role of getting my siblings up and ready fro school. I had made sure they were doing well with school work, ate, and overall stayed on top of things that as a child you paid no mind to because of what you actually preferred to do. My grandmother worked late nights until mid morning. I became quite tired of the role because I felt I was only a kid and should not have to do said things myself however I often reflect back on this today and I feel more grateful than indignant. Being put into this role at a young age I personally believe gave me a sense of maturity that I now use to keep myself on top of things as well as others.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Back in high school i played soccer and when a bunch of males get together in a competitive competition there will always be conflict. I forget what team we were playing but one guy on the other team was being verbally outrageous and going to extremes with trash talk to my teammates. I was team captain so I switched position to get closer to this guy and i started to trash talk him. I ended up tackling him hard a couple times and pushed him around we both got yellow cards and my team won. I look back at this as funny in a way but also I'm glad I did it because to me that is what a good teammate should do.

    ReplyDelete
  28. When I was a sophomore, I was SA in the classroom and I didnt want to tell my parents about it. The guy cheated on his girlfriend by doing that and I had to message her telling her waht happened. There was another girl in my class and we were best friends but that year we grew apart. I was talking about it with my closer friends and she butted in on the convo and asked what happened. I didnt really want to tell her but I did and she was horrified. Not of what he did but because I let him do that to me. That moment has always stuck with me because at that moment I really did feel like it was my fault but hearing her say that made me really upset. Now I know that it wasnt her place to say anything so I realize how shitty of a person she really is. Even if it was 2 years ago, consent should be a basic thing to know.
    Zoe Brewer

    ReplyDelete
  29. The summer before my freshman year of high school my dad moved from Louisville to Denver, Colorado. He had previously received a higher paying job opportunity and didn't hesitate to take it even though he would be moving out of state. This was really hard for me at the time. I already only saw my dad once a week because of the split custody between my parents, so I cherished the days I did get to spend with him. I went from seeing him once a week to a couple times a year. I struggled with missing my dad a lot and wished that he could be closer so that I could share more of my life with him. Sometimes I still do. Now though I realize that I've grown to appreciate the times when I finally do get to see him, it makes it more exciting. And I get to visit Denver and explore fun things like hiking Red Rocks and hanging out a natural wildlife reserve.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Back in my freshman year of high school, I had a conflict of choosing between hanging out with my friends or going to basketball practice. Back then, I viewed it as a tough decision because I wanted to get better at basketball, but I also wanted to have a good time with my friends. I was struggling to make a decision. My parents wanted me to go to basketball while my friends wanted me to hang out with them. I ended up choosing basketball practice due to the fact that I had already made a commitment to my teammates. Now that I am older, I feel that the decision was a no brainer. Yes, missing out on being with my friends stunk, but staying loyal to my commitment was more important. Staying loyal is a value that I abide by.

    ReplyDelete
  31. When i was younger i would get into argument all the time with my dad talking back to him, and arguing my position on the subject. That's all fine but my problem when i was you was even after i was proven to be wrong i would still argue my point. looking back on this it was quite youthful to do but i see those conflicts as learning points. Even though i would argue for things that were wrong i would take in the right information to use later down the line.

    ReplyDelete
  32. When I was in high school, I had a best friend who I considered a sister. We did everything together, and I wanted her to one day be my maid of honor. But, halfway through our high school years, she transferred to a boarding school out of state. At first she would call, and ask about my days, and how things where going, but soon she stopped reaching out. It was hard not to talk to her everyday, but she still came home for breaks and holidays, but she was different. She no longer called unless she needed something, it was if everyone back home didn't exist to her when she was away. My senior year, I cut her off, sick of feeling second, and sic of being put on the back burner. Looking back, I should've cut things off alot sooner, but it helped me grow as a person. I realized I was tying my self worth to a person, and it needed to stop. It forced me to realize my own worth without relying on others.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ever since I was little I've moved around alot. With my dad being in the military I switched schools frequently and always had to start my life over. Every time I'd move I would always see people that have friends since birth or elementary school and I have never had anything like that. I went to a DoD school in middle school when I lived in Germany and it was the first time I had ever been friends with people who all were going through the same stuff I was. Even that experience was hard because I had gotten so used to leaving people but no one had ever moved away from me until I experienced that. Growing up this was really hard and still is but i have realized it's made me stronger and more resilient. I am used to sudden changes and it made moving away to college much easier than it was for most who had stayed in the same place their whole lives.

    ReplyDelete
  34. During my junior year of high school, I began to fight often with someone who I thought was a trusted friend. We fought over the smallest things, and eventually got to the point where he was blocked on my phone and we tried not to be in the same room. We both said some nasty things, his words usually more brutal personal attacks. Come to find out, a lot of his anger was rooted in internal problems that he hadn’t worked out yet; he explained this to me early in senior year and we eventually made up and remain friends now. Looking back on this year-long conflict with my friend, I realize that I could have tried to listen to his problems more instead of just getting mad at him pointing out the problems with me. Had I looked closer, I may have been able to see that his anger at me was really with himself and we could have avoided a lot of ugliness and scars. I also would separated myself from him sooner and tried to figure out what was going on from a distance instead of trying to be friendly while also trapping my anger.

    ReplyDelete
  35. When I was a freshman at UK, I struggled a lot with homesickness. I couldn't sleep very well for the first few weeks on campus. At the time I thought I had made the wrong decision by choosing to go to college out of state. I told my family many times I had been thinking about moving back home. Leaving felt like the right thing to do at the time. Now, UK is my home and I feel homesick whenever I leave Lexington. I view that conflict as a sign of growth. This was my first real conflict on my own that I had to figure out by myself. I learned that change is good and sometimes getting out of your comfort zone can be the best thing for you.

    ReplyDelete
  36. When I was in sixth grade, my best friend and I started to grow apart because she started hanging out with other people that I wasn't friends with and she stopped hanging out with me. It hurt me and I felt helpless in the situation. While I had other friends at the time, she was my best friend and no one could replace her. I eventually brought it up to her and she told me she did not even realize and that she felt bad that I was feeling that way. Looking back on it, it does not seem as a significant and it doesn't hurt like it once did. The situation taught me what a true and good friend is.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I got into a big argument with my brother-in-law a few years ago about smoking cigarettes and how it can lead to many undesirable outcomes regarding your health. He was a smoker.. A heavy smoker. He got my sister into smoking too. We argued for probably half an hour about whether or not it causes cancer. I said it does, he said it doesn’t. We went back and forth and I felt so angry and frustrated in the moment and I thought it was because he thought he was smarter than me, but now I look back on that argument and realize that all my emotion came from fear. Fear of losing the people I love. He was diagnosed with cancer less than a year later. In a way I regret the argument, because I know nothing I said would have changed the outcome of his situation, but maybe I would have had more pleasant memories to look back on if I hadn’t started that argument.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Alison Belford: During high school I was in a friend group of about 14 girls. There was always drama, competition of girls trying to be better than each other, rumors, and exclusion. Being one of the girl's excluded, I always thought something was wrong with me, or that I wasn't good enough to being invited out with them. It put a damper on my mental health, and I started to become very irritable with my parents when they told me to find new friends. I didn't want to find new friends, I wanted those girls who I called my "friends" to like me, and so I changed my personality for them. Soon enough I was mentally and emotionally drained, and distanced myself from the group of girls because I realized that's not how a true friend should be treated. Looking back on this conflict I am very proud of myself for leaving the toxic environment and fending for my own happiness and well-being. Leaving this friend group brought my my best friend, who I wouldn't have met if I didn't understand what was best for me. My mother says to me now that I have became a more sweet and caring person, the person who I was before changing myself for these girls. Now being in a sorority, I was nervous the same thing would happen being surrounded by a large group of girls again, but my sisters have all shown me the respect and love that a true friend should show.

    ReplyDelete
  39. When I was little, I used to have a lot of kids tease me for my hair (I’m biracial, so it’s very coily and kinky and at times, frizzy). They would stick gum, pencils, dirt, anything small in it because they were enamored with the fact that it my hair would just absorb it and things would get lost in their. I wouldn’t know it until I got home from school and would find an array of stuff in there. It made me so upset to the point where I wanted to straighten my hair like the other kids in class so that things wouldn’t get stuck in it (people wouldn’t put things in it) and I could be normal and be teased. My mom refused. She never once straightened my hair and I hated that as a kid. No matter how much I would cry she wouldn’t do it. Looking back on it now, I realize that my hair would’ve been damaged from the heat. It also forced me into a narrative and situation where I learned to love my hair and have it mesh with my identity. By not ever changing it, it allowed me to face my conflict with it and people head on.

    ReplyDelete
  40. I played baseball since I was three until I was 18. Every now and then, there would be some fights in the stands and I thought all of them were funny but very stupid. When I was nine, one of my friends parents got into an altercation with another parent and it was because the other teams parents were saying saying some inappropriate things to one of our parents wife. So the husband went over and they got into a shoving match and then they got seperated. I thought it was very dumb at the time but now I see it a little differently. Sometimes, you can't let people get away with saying horrible things, especially to your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  41. I was six years old, just entering elementary school. That is a major stepping stone for every child at that age. I felt so many emotions. But what mattered the most to me about school was recess. Recess secretly held the power for any student to gain or lose popularity. Every step during recess mattered. Don’t take the wrong step. I decided to go and play tag with a few other girls, who were white, on the playground, but what they didn’t tell me was that they had secret plans. When I was “it” I chased one of the girls all through the mulch, weaving in and out of steps and slides. Until we reached the rest of the girls and they all began throwing mulch at me. I didn’t understand then why someone would do that. But throughout the years, I began to realize that it was because I looked different than them. I can’t be mad at them because it was obviously taught. But experiences like that definitely made me a lot tougher.

    ReplyDelete
  42. When I was very young, my cousins' house was my favorite place to go. They had all the family parties with all the toys and so many kids to play with. However, after a few years there became an awkward age gap between me and my cousins. They were in middle school and high school and I was still in elementary school, so there wasn't anything for us to bond over anymore. I started to hate going over there. I was too old to play with the little kids, but I was excluded from the older kid conversations. The worst part though, was that I was excluded from their hangout spot in the crawlspace. They all went in there and ate dinner together and talked and played games, but I wasn't allowed. Whenever my parents gave me the option to go, my answer was no for a long time. Then I got to highschool. Probably about sophomore year, I became super close with them again. I started going over there without the rest of my family just to hangout with my cousins. Now, they were one of the hardest people to leave when saying my goodbyes for school. We call each other and I was apart of one of their weddings. Now I understand why they didn't want me to be apart of their conversations even though it was annoying at the time, and I think it gave us a chance to become even closer as the years have gone on.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I have an older sister and when I was about 7-8 years she was in high school. That year she got pregnant and moved out of my house. As a younger sibling I was confused and upset because it felt like my sister abandoned me without even saying anything. I saw my parents very upset because she was just in high school and they didn't know what to do. I would see my dad in tears and it hurt because it didn't only affect me but also everyone in our house. I didn't understand how my sister could leave the house and not lean on us for support. I was sad, but I think I was angry more than everything. I look back on it today and I realize that my sister was probably terrified. Scared of what parents would have reacted or wouldn't have supported her.

    ReplyDelete
  44. A conflict from earlier in my life that I still often think about would be when my family and I moved homes which led me to living in a different county from where I used to live. This conflict was hard for me because I was in middle school and I absolutely loved being 5-10 minutes from my best friends. I could ride my bike to them or have my mom run me 5 minutes down the road. This was so convenient and made up a big chunk of my childhood. When we moved it was very hard for me because I was a good 30 minute drive from my friends. It was a hard adjustment but when I look back at the conflict that I had earlier in my life I am able to tell myself that it happened for a reason and it led me to making new friends. We moved to a neighborhood where I am surrounded with people who I call family. Without the move and transition to a new county I wouldn’t have them and I wouldn’t be the person that I am today without that conflict that I thought would ruin my life. I am so happy that this happened to me and I am so grateful for the new opportunities and people that it brought into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  45. When I was in early elementary school around second and third grade my parents use to fight all of the time. I am the oldest so I remember it more than my brothers. But it started right after we move to the house we live in now and right after my dad finally got a new job after taking the buy-out from Chrysler. My dad was working a lot and coming home late, and my mom was struggling without any help with the three kids at home. So almost every night when he came home they would fight. But my parents love each other and eventually they both realized why the other one was upset with each other and made a compromise. Looking back I can understand how my dad was working so much so he could earn money and support his family, while my mom was upset because she wanted my dad to help out like he use too instead of being so distant. My parents are still together, and still are finding was to compromise and grow together and support their kids.

    ReplyDelete
  46. When I was in second grade my parents got divorced. During that time when it first happened I honestly didn’t think much of it. My dad traveled for work and wasn’t home much, so the idea of just having my mom around wasn’t much of a scary thought. I went through elementary, middle, and high school with a single mom. Now that I am older I can see that it was a big deal only having a single mom. I never got to have a life with a dad and I kind of blocked it out growing up. I never truly realized everything my mom had to do and sacrifice to raise 5 kids on her own. Back when I was younger I wasn’t as grateful as I should’ve been for my mom, now that I am older I can truly see all the sacrifices she made to raise us. I will forever be grateful for my mom and everything that she did for me and my siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  47. When I was 7, I absolutely loved the water park by my house. Any possible spare moment was spent there over the summer. Coney Island closed a bit after school started, so there was some overlap between summer fun and school work. I begged my dad to take me and my brother to Coney Island on a Sunday, and he eventually relented even though it was technically a school night. My parents weren’t fond of us changing routines on a school night. I was ecstatic. I spent all day fantasizing about how fun coney would be on a Sunday night, and then my Dad did the worst possible thing. He canceled. I was furious. How could someone go back on their word? A promise was everything to me when I was 7. I could not believe that someone I loved so dearly could break a promise. I threw the worst fit, and was sent to my room for the rest of the night. Looking back on this conflict now, it seems silly. Even still, I can understand my feelings of betrayal because, at that time, that was the worst thing that could happen to me. I still value promises very highly, but now I have an understanding that plans can change and sometimes promises can’t always be kept.

    ReplyDelete
  48. When I was in middle school, all I wanted, all I felt I needed to be complete in life was a phone. I was twelve years old and wanted to have this small device that I now carry around daily so badly. My parents felt that, since I was not even a teenager yet, I was too young and did not have a real necessity for a phone. I was beside myself, how could they be so blind to the fact that I needed a phone. Looking back, my parents were so right and I am so glad I got to live a couple extra years of my life without this crippling addiction. It saddens me to see the hold that technology has on our lives and wish I could take back the nights I spent pleading with my parents over having something as meaningless as a phone.

    ReplyDelete
  49. A conflict that I had earlier in my life was being friends with kids from different schools, I would play travel ball and I would make friends with everyone and then one day it all fell apart by just a simple rumor, the older I got I realized it was very silly and now were all friends again but at that time I thought I would never be friends with them again

    ReplyDelete
  50. A conflict that I had in my life happened almost a year ago now, when my mom was diagnosed with cancer. She was in the hospital, I was still at school along with my twin sister. All we wanted to do was go be by her side. But it's a six hour drive from here. My dad told me and my sister to wait because at the time we didn’t know she wasn't going to make it yet. The only reason my dad said for us not to come is because she had gotten covid while in the hospital and didn’t want me and my twin sister to get sick. We argued and fought about whether or not me and my sister were going to be coming home that day. Now I see that he was trying to keep us healthy and safe, but I still wish I could have gone to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Earlier in my life during late middle school-early high school me and my brother used to fight a lot. During this time he started to get into a terrible crowd and it caused many problems in my family such constant yelling every night when he’d come home drunk, arguing back and forth every day and even some physical alterations between me and brother. I always wondered why this had happened and where the fun and loving brother I once knew had gone too. As the years have passed and our relationship has gotten much better I started to look back on the passed and to see where things went wrong. After some long and hard thinking I started to realize the problems that my brother had going on in his life and to cope with these problems he found comfort in those who took the easy way out. But as time went on he’s changed into a better man who wants to mend the relationships he once lost.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Growing up I never really had a place to call home. When I say this I do not mean that I didn't have a house to live it but instead quite the opposite. As a child I remember clearly the times where I would just be sitting at my house and then told pack up your stuff we will be moving to a new home and that since it was usually across state lines we would take one trip and more than likely never return. Because of this I had gotten far too familiar with never seeing or being in contact with people that I had made friends with at school. I distinctly remember I had purposefully avoided meeting any more than a small group of people because I simply felt like a year or two down the road I'd just have to say goodbye for good which most of the time I was right. Looking back I have mixed feeling about it all. On one hand it gave me great people skills being able to meet new people rather quickly. On the other hand I often found myself walling myself off from people strictly out of fear of a loss of friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  53. Throughout my childhood, I lived on a court full of children and best friends of mine. It was in a big neighborhood in the East end of Louisville. I had lived there since I was born, and so had all the neighbors around me. At age 9, I moved across town to live in St. Matthew's. At such a young age, I did not realize the effect this would have on my life. Being homeschooled growing up, I did not attend school with any of my best friends on the court. Moving away was hard for me because I lost all my best friends. We still saw each other but it was never gonna be the same as it was. We could not run around and play hide and seek every summer night, or go walk across the driveway to a sleepover. Now that I am older, it is easier to reunite with them and hangout, but at such a young age I was very changed. Now, I understand it better, because it was best for my family. Looking back, everything worked out and we are all family friends again. I was in one of their weddings this past weekend. Although I would love to never has moved, it ended up being alright.

    ReplyDelete
  54. A few years ago I had a friend who was very oblivious to the world around him and did not realize the impact a recent change had made on him because he saw it differently. One day hanging out he asked me what I thought about one of his new teammates that came from out of state, and at the time I had only said "hi" to the person so without hesitation I told my friend I thought he would be a good add to the team hoping to not cause any worry. A week later the kid was telling me he played the same position as my friend and was attempting to convince him to switch positions so he could come in and play. My friend was keen to the idea of switching positions to help the transfer however he knew he had tried other positions in the past and told me it had never felt right.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Sometime around the end of middle school my dad moved to Florida for a job. The rest of my family and I stayed in Kentucky because that’s where our whole lives were. For the first time but not the last my family was split. After my dad moved back from Florida, my parents officially separated. During this time home was a bit messy and conflict was a common occurrence. But looking back at it now I am forever thankful about what I learned from that time of my life. It made me a lot of who I am. But most importantly it taught me how important community is. The people outside of my house, friends and their families, kept me going. Their love helped me feel at home outside of my house. Those are the kind of people to surround yourself with and they’re people I still hold so close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  56. When I was younger, my mom wanted to enroll me at a college prep highschool and so i had to leave my middle school friends and i was sad about it, and so now I understand why she did it , the school allowed me to not have to pay for any college application fees and it prepared me for long hours such as what i want to do for my career which also will be long hours.

    ReplyDelete
  57. A grape. Most people see a grape as a green or purple fruit, that you consume by the pool on a steaming summer day. But to my childhood best friend and I, we see grapes differently. The discussion of whether a green or purple was the better grape, is what sparked our first argument. Considering we were only nine years old at the time, I could not wrap my head around the fact that my best friend, the person I was supposed to be exactly alike, would consider purple grapes better than green grapes. At this time green was my favorite color, so it was not even about the flavor of the grape, I was solely basing my argument over the appearance of the grape. And I was starstruck that my best friend would not take my side and agree with me, because in my egocentric mind… I was right and there was no one that could change my mind. I wish I was lying but back then my best friend and I did not talk for an entire month over the fact that we disagreed over a grape. And now that seems absolutely ridiculous that we allowed a small fruit to get in between our friendship. Now, ten years later, my best friend and I would never even consider a grape being a disagreement, we would laugh and move on. This disagreement just shows the difference of our brains ten years apart.

    ReplyDelete
  58. Camden hedrick

    A fight of unimportance, a fake oak clump, protectively shined for the perfect souvenir, projectiled from a small, pale hand, thumping into the head of my older brother, screaming and shouting ensued, somehow moving upstairs to the master bedroom. A large bellowing bear of a mans hand, extending, wrapping, closing around my plaid neck, hoisted up against the poorly maintained drywall as easily as one would lift a fork. Held against that wall, unable to escape, unable to breath, unable to do anything except fear. What was only a moment of terror grew into an expanse of terror. The grip tightened, type of force changed, thrown onto the ground in crushing force to the carpeted floor.
    Then it was horrifying, painful and crushing, now simply a file within my expansive memory

    ReplyDelete
  59. A conflict I had when I was younger was trying to decide whether I wanted to play volleyball at a higher level. It was a very long and draining decision but it all worked out for the better. Looking back at it now, I made the right decision and wouldn’t change it for the world. Trying to make the decision was very hard but it all worked out. This situation makes me believe in everything happens for a reason, that saying has been proven true through this situation.

    ReplyDelete
  60. When I was 7 years old I lived in Idaho then moved to Southern California. It was a huge adjustment. In Idaho, I lived in a very secluded area where only 3 houses were on each street. When I moved to Orange County, it was the complete opposite. The houses were basically touching each other, kids were constantly playing outside, and everyone walked to school. I felt so different than everyone else. At this time, my verbal disorder started to worsen making it really hard to make friends. I didn’t have as good of social skills as everyone else. My parents put me into a huge elementary school where there was 1,000 students. My school in Idaho had 200. After elementary school, i was put into private school at a Christian school. Now that I’m an adult, I’m glad my parents put me in a huge school as a child because it gave me the ability to come out of my shell and be exposed to a new environment instead of hiding myself. Moving to California gave me the ability to flourish in ways I couldn’t when living in Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
  61. Throughout high school, my dad and I would argue a lot. He had a lot of views that I didn't agree with and I felt were outdated, but he would never admit he was wrong. Around my junior year, my mom and I sat down and talked about why we were always arguing. She told me about how rough his childhood was, and how it really shaped him. Looking back, if it weren't for my mom's talk, I would've never seen his side of the story and the arguing would've only gotten worse.

    ReplyDelete
  62. When I was around 5 years old my parents used to always be fighting. My sister and I used to never think anything of it, we would normally just cry, and they would stop. Now this is still an occurring problem and now I see it now as like somethings never change or get better unless people really want them to work out.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I was in fifth grade and this girl I used to be friends with used to pick on me because I was friends with someone she wanted to be friends with. I never really understood why she would pick on me specifically because other people were that girl's friends and she never did anything to them. I talked to my mom about it one day and she told me I needed to stand up for myself because I haven't done anything wrong. The next day, I told to my ex-friend, to leave me and that she shouldn't bother me because she can't get her way. Now looking back, I realized she was just jealous of me and that they're people out there who are just unhappy with themselves and project it on others.

    ReplyDelete
  64. There was a point in my life and everyone else’s that they had an older friend to look up to. At this time I was in my 4th grade year and I had always hung out with one of my neighbors that was three to four years older than me. We had always gotten along, playing video games in the basement until our fingers bled or until the death ring appeared on the old Xbox 360. But nearing the end of my fourth grade semester there was a school wide party and bonfire for all kids and their parents to attend. Being the annoying fourth grader I was I stuck along side my older bigger friend as a safe guard, knowing that if anything were to happen to me he would be there. As the night continues more and more people arrived and we all started to play back yard games. As the backyard games soon grew old, everybody surrounded the large flame that emitted the warmth we all were in search for. Soon I heard my older friend was getting into a physical argument. And people were starting to gang up on him as if it were a joke. I started to try pulling people off of him but I was too small, and fell to the ground. After this commotion nearly everyone left the area including myself. I knew it was time to go home. Upon my arrival into the house our family home phone immediately started to ring off the Hook. This phone call was my friend’s parents requesting an apology from me for being apart of the pile of people that ganged up on their son. While I had nothing to do with harming my older friend, they had the assumption that a 4th grader had the capability of physically causing that large of an altercation. At this point I realized what an assumption is and how it is perceived if the assumption was incorrect. Assumptions are something I do my best to stay clear of just because of this one incident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Kai Lancaster, on a different device.

      Delete
  65. During my senior year of high school, I got into quite a few arguments with my mom. I was excited to be a senior and I was experiencing an extreme case of senior-itis. Most of the arguments that my mother and I had were over the app Life 360. My mother was constantly monitoring my movements through Life 360 and I thought that she was being overbearing. I also felt like she did not trust me and I did not have trust in her. I think that there was a disconnect between us because we are so similar. We both wanted to be there for each other, but it was hard when we couldn’t agree on anything. However, now I’ve realized that my mom just genuinely cared about me and did not want to accept the fact that she’s “losing me” in a year. She was using Life 360 in order to establish a sense of control in her own life. My mom has been a stay at home mom for majority of her life, taking care of my two other siblings and I. Now I empathize with my mom and I understand where she’s coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  66. A conflict I remember having was when I was in elementary school and my mom had given me money for the book fair and as a kid, I really didn't know any better so I would show off how much money my mom had given me. Later on, I realized someone had stolen it and I was really mad. We eventually found out who it was, and it was someone who didn't have any money to buy things, so I guess younger me didn't understand back then but now I realize it wasn't all that deep.

    ReplyDelete
  67. Hate-filled notes
    Disgusted eye rolls
    Depressing thoughts
    Irrational accusations
    Hours on end in the principal’s office
    Days never ending in happiness
    A Cold War that begins with difference
    A world war that ended in hatred

    We still don’t talk
    We still have a mild distaste for each other
    But move on we did
    There are no hate notes
    No eye rolls
    Not depression
    No allegations
    No offices
    And there is always happiness

    ReplyDelete
  68. When I was around 6 my parents got divorced. Which doesn’t seem like a big deal because it happens to couples all the time, but they ended up getting back together. And it wasn’t because they still wanted to be together. It had nothing to do with love between them, it was just for the sake of me and my siblings. Growing up it was hard to see other people's parents getting along all the time and it felt like I was missing out on something because all mine ever did was fight. At the moment I hated it, because it was always causing issues, and I still don’t like it but going through that has made it clear to me what I want in a Husband and what I want for my family.

    ReplyDelete
  69. By my freshman year of high school i had been playing soccer for about 9 to 10 years and it was something that i was very committed to and passionate about. Towards the end of the season my freshman year i hurt my back really bad. I soon learned that i had many things wrong, some that would work themselves out and others that were chronic and wouldnt. After this i was put on many medications and muscle relaxers to help me. I tried to push through and continue playing but it was just too difficult. At the time this was like the end of the world for me. I didnt know what i was going to do if i couldnt play soccer. Although it was upsetting, i realize now that it wasnt the end of the world. I believe that everything happens for a reason and that it led me to focus on school better.

    ReplyDelete
  70. Over the summer my family moved into a different house. I was opposed to this situation as I was happy in the house that I had grown up in. I had spent twelve years of my life in that house on a street with so many friends. I was surrounded by good people who, over time, became like family to me. I understand now that we moved because it was what was best for the family. I realize that change may not always be easy but it can be for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  71. When I was a kid, me and my family moved across the country to a state of which I knew no one in, I was put into the closest public school. It wasn't the best school, but it sufficed. The first thing I realized was that everyone in this new place, they fought to be the "top dog" or stronger than everyone, at least stronger than the new person (to clarify, this wasn't just in school). I knew that it wasn't going to be easy, but that didn't make it any better. I wasn't able to actually make any friends until I was in middle school. I know when someone says "Oh my gosh, they are so popular", that typically means that they are at the top of the social totem poll of the class. When I got to high school, I mainly just stuck to my friends. Although I didn't have many, they were my family. As I went through my four years of high school, I was seen less as the new kid, or weirdo, or an outcast and more of just another student that was friendly to everyone. Going through this new life, the one that I was thrown in at random, of course I stumbled at first. It took a while, but I got to where I wanted to be eventually. When I mentioned that people typically think that being popular is like being the coolest person, or someone you don't want to mess with (depending on which part of the social totem poll you are located). Popularity isn't about being on top, it's being admired or enjoyed by many people in a group or particular people. I realized that I didn't need either definition of being popular.

    ReplyDelete
  72. My favorite images from the poem are when he says he’s a window. It is cool to see the perspective and imagine and know what he is saying. I also really liked I’m stone, I’m flesh because it makes you really think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  73. A conflict that I remember clearly from earlier from my life was when my parents disregarded my sister’s depression and anxiety. It has affected me directly because it taught me to grow up faster because I was the person my sister went to when she needed help. I see it as a blessing and a curse. It brought me closer to my sister and we have a bond that will never be broken. She also taught me how to cope with depression as well, since I have it too. It’s heartbreaking though because my parents who I love and look up to, do not see me or her struggling. Sometimes I feel alone because the people I thought would always be there for me didn’t care, but I learned how to be more independent. I can’t rely on everybody but having a support group was comforting. I found my real friends who I can talk to, but also can distance myself when I needed to.

    ReplyDelete
  74. One conflict I remember having was right after I moved to Uk. I didn’t know anyone yet and was alone in a new city hours away from my family. One day I was out exploring the city and when I came back that night, it was already dark so I turned on a light in my car so I could see the things I needed to carry. In a hurry to get back to my dorm, I forgot to turn the light off and when I returned to my car a few days later it was completely dead. Eventually I found someone that could jump it and everything was fine, but I now view that situation as a learning experience and as inconvenient as it was at the time, it made me realize I needed to start talking to people and making connections so that the next time I needed help I would have someone in the same city to call.

    ReplyDelete
  75. When I was younger, I got in a physical fight with my older brother when we had company over. He was being a mean older brother and being the young reckless kid I was, I punched him in the face and almost broke his nose. My mom sent us both to our rooms and later came to make us apologize to each other. I had no problem doing this as I find it almost impossible to hold a grudge. But he did not want to apologize. When I was younger I had no idea why he didn’t want to apologize but later in life I realized I had embarrassed him and I felt horrible about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Images - American History Looks for Light - A Prayer for the Survival of Barack Obama by Roger Bonair - Agard

Agenda - Chapter 7: Development and Revision